Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Other Side of INSEAD


I've been at INSEAD in Fontainbleau for more than two weeks now, and have thus begun to form various opinions about the school, its students, and the overall culture. I arrived wide-eyed and ready to dive in head first, something I think is safe to say about the vast majority of the MBAs here. After all, INSEAD has a reputation for being one of Europe's finest business schools, and as such has a long-standing association in the minds of those familiar with the institution as being a formidable undertaking. Considered for many years to be a popular "finishing school" for many of Europe's elite, there are certain elements of the culture at INSEAD that go hand in hand with this environment. Students typically wear business suits, dialog is focused intently on furthering status and career, and the whole institution feels more like the atmosphere of a corporate headquarters than a school. Club membership is another element with a strong presence. As you might expect, there are clubs tailored to a wide array of interests and career directions. There are sports clubs, hobby clubs, and professional clubs. And then there are the private clubs.

Membership in any club has its perks. Membership in one of the private clubs is by no means an exception. There are three private clubs (I've since learned) within the INSEAD community, at least that I am yet aware of. Tradition is an integral part of any culture and the preservation of that culture is important, bearing its own intrinsic value. Having said that, I will choose my following words very carefully.

As I mentioned, there are three private clubs that find their roots at INSEAD: Renaissance, VIP, and The Valmont Club. They are not secret clubs, per se, (or you wouldn't be reading this) but they are, however, very private. During the first week, I was approached by a very well-connected student I'd met in one of the classes. I'd explained earlier the details of the exchange program and my interests in being here, both professionally and personally. This student inquired as to whether I would be interested in attending a private party later in the week. They explained that this would be a private event, by personal invitation from a club member only, and that it was exclusively for "friends of friends." I was told to meet at a building on campus the evening of the event and the rest of the details would be revealed once there.

When I arrived (the building was deserted and dark) there was a small but growing number of other people looking as clueless as I. Just as I headed for the door, the student who had extended the invitation showed up and asked everyone to follow him. We descended to the basement where we were greeted by a number of the club's existing members, bottles of champagne, and other treats. After some mingling, the organizer began:

"Welcome to The Valmont Club. This is a private club, for friends of friends only. The Valmont Club is a tradition at INSEAD for deserving students. It has its benefits as you'll see, and once you're a member, you remain a member. Tonight, the party is at the club's château; there will be a tour bus departing in 15 minutes to take you there and returning later. Enjoy the champagne, there is a lot more at the château. Oh, and no cameras are allowed."

A half hour ride through the French countryside later we arrived at the Valmont Château. Club members guided us to the party, descending into a courtyard lined with glowing candles. The scene was straight out of a secret society movie. I remember thinking at the time, as cool as it was, I knew nothing about what was going on. However, soon it didn't matter. We climbed a small stone stairway, passed through a giant wooded door, and entered the party.

This is the part where I have to leave you, the reader, hanging to some extent. You have no choice but to trust me, I have no choice either. The details of the party will now and forever remain within the club. I can say I saw things there I cannot disclose, here or anywhere else. In short, the party was amazing, sometimes strange and even surprising, but always exciting. I'm now proud to say I am a member of The Valmont Club and I look forward to what other surprises await. It isn't a secret. But I wouldn't say it above a whisper.

1 comment: