Monday, March 30, 2009

R.I.P. Canon SD600

In one of my recent posts I described the fun and intensity that defined my spring break adventure in Barcelona. The city is truly amazing with a vibrancy and energy that was at once appealing and intriguing. There was, however, one incident that left a bad taste in my mouth...and unfortunately left me without a camera for the duration of my travels. The element in question, which is now referred to by those present at the time simply as "the hooker incident," was the sole experience to put a tarnish on an otherwise fantastic holiday.

Now, I know what you're thinking. It wasn't like that, I swear! What actually happened is Marcus, Stephanie and I were out enjoying a night out on the town at what became our favorite bar. On our way back to the hostel in the darkest hours of the morning we suddenly came across a hoard of hookers. The hookers, surely sensing our vulnerability (we'd had a few), came at us like a school of sharks to fresh blood. I never would have imagined hookers to be so aggressive! There were hands everywhere as they swarmed us in a feeding frenzy of pickpocketing madness. It was all over so quickly. Unfortunately, although my personal assets were still intact, not all of my personal affects were. That dirty, marauding gang of thieving hookers got my digital camera. And while the camera itself was beginning to show its age, the real loss were the 200 or so irreplaceable photos I'd snapped thus far.


Despite that little stain on the city's reputation in my eyes, Barcelona remains a place of wonder and excitement. Like my grandfather used to say, "live and learn, die and know it all." I can't wait until I get to experience it again...but next time I'll be prepared for the unexpected.
(photo by Marcus Koosmann)

No comments:

Post a Comment