Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reflections on France (part 1): Curious Corners

This is the first of what will likely be a short series of posts reflecting on my brief but sweet experience living in France. I reserve the right to arbitrarily move between genuine, considered cultural observation and outright mockery. However, having said that, I have no discernible agenda and will most probably find a balance somewhere in the middle. My aim extends only so far as providing an informative whilst entertaining overview and I will try to exercise my savoir-faire. Now then, on to the point...
It is with real interest and nearly genuine concern that I feel I must report: the French seem to have an inexplicable aversion to inside corners. It took me some time to really identify this puzzling trend as its really not something one consciously looks for. Nevertheless, as I became aware of it, this construction habit became glaringly obvious. Examples of this odd architectural fixation are almost ubiquitous. I asked myself if this was just a perceptual thing, and if filleted corners where just traditionally part of French form language. This theory was quickly abandoned as observation soon proved the phenomenon is limited to inside corners between vertical planes. C'est bizarre! Eventually I began to snap photos of random occurrences for documentation and future reference just such as this. These are but a fraction of the examples I personally came across, and they don't stop with masonry. Many inside corners are cordoned-off by iron grates or single, quarter-circular railings.
Inquiring with numerous people, I found nothing more than conjecture...and perhaps equally as curious, a seemingly complete lack of awareness of the trend (which is odd given France is the only place I've ever seen this). I was offered some creative hypotheses, however, ranging from preventing people from hiding in dark corners, to abatement of places to discretely urinate in public, or even an effort to compensate for the pervasive sharp corners found in provincial French architecture.
*In my best Robert Stack voice* Effectively it remains an unsolved mystery. If you, or anyone you know, has information regarding this trend, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

1 comment:

  1. Talking with my Mum, it appears that inside corners had many different purposes:
    - if it was on both sides of a alleyway, the purpose of inside corners was to prevent horse carts wheels'hubs to eat into walls (very old purpose)
    - more prosaic explanation: at one house angle or between two houses it was to prevent people (men!) to urinate
    - in castles: it could be the back of a turret (if the turret was small and high it was called a "poivrière" (= pepperpot), or the back of stairs (especially commom in basements or the back of privy or latrines
    - finally it was often used as a reinforcement construction to strenghten walls
    I hope it clears up the subject!
    Marie.

    ReplyDelete